Wednesday, March 2, 2011
Saturday, February 19, 2011
Thursday, February 17, 2011
And us, walking.
It is just light enough to take a few photos, but teetering on the verge of darkness. And you look forward to making it home again, shake off the chill, and sit down by the fire with a warm cup of tea.
Saturday, February 12, 2011
Wednesday, September 29, 2010
I shared more photos from our recent trip to China - and I wanted to make sure you saw there here, too.
Young visitors in Tienanmen Square.
Signs of spring, on the Great Wall.
The glorious vistas of Yangshuo county. Day long bike rides in the rain didn't make this place any less awe inspiring.
Freshly picked oranges on the side of the street.
Good luck wishes on front doors.
Friendly, sweet faces. Everywhere.
Thursday, June 3, 2010
And in thousands of small, unexpected ways.
Thursday, March 18, 2010
"It is essentially a period of meditation and prayer, of spiritual recuperation, during which the believer must strive to make the necessary readjustments in his inner life, and to refresh and reinvigorate the spiritual forces latent within his soul. Its significance and purpose are, therefore, fundamentally spiritual in character."
-- Shoghi Effendi
In conjunction with this special time, a group of Baha'i photographers decided to collaborate in a worldwide project: each day of the Fast, two photographers would take photos at dawn and dusk, to mark the beginning and the end of every fasting day. And so was born nineteen days, which has provided me with daily doses of visual and spiritual inspiration this month.
Here are some of my most favorite photographs...
Layli - Rapid City, USA
This post is a part of blog it forward, a wonderful initiative by victoria, to collect and share inspiration from all over the world. I am so happy to be a part of this and encourage you to check out all the other blogs involved, and especially our.city.lights who is posting tomorrow!
Sunday, March 7, 2010
Leila, Anjali and I spent the past two months working on collecting the images and the words of our 'nineteen days' project from last year. The result? A lovely book - filled with over eighty full-color pictures, from a cup of tea in America to a blazing sunset over an African capital... it is a truly precious thing to us and I hope it will be to you too!
We're have three copies of the book to giveaway - as a special thank you to friends that purchase the book and help spread the word about it. Here is what you need to do to be eligible for the giveaway:
(1) Do one of the following: join our facebook group, follow us on twitter at @nineteendays, post the cover of “nineteen days” to your flickr account and link to the “nineteen days” shopping site, or blog about this giveaway.
(2) Buy at least one copy of “nineteen days“: the more copies you buy, the more times you are entered to win one of the three giveaway copies.
(3) Let us know that you’re in to win by contacting us. You can do one or more of the following:
- tweet this message: “Hey, @nineteendays, count me in for your book giveaway!”
- leave a comment on this blog
- contact us on flickr, letting us know you’ve posted the cover (Amy, Anjali, or Leila).
- post something relevant on your facebook status (and then let us know on our facebook group’s wall).
(4) Winner(s) of the three giveaway copies of “nineteen days” will be chosen by random selection.
(5) On Tuesday, 9 March 2010, at 5pm MST we will announce the winner(s) of the three giveaway copies of “nineteen days“!
Monday, March 1, 2010
Leila and I are both members of the Bahá'í Faith and we started this project back in 2008 as a way to mark the annual occurrence of the Bahá'í Fast.
It is essentially a period of meditation and prayer, of spiritual recuperation, during which the believer must strive to make the necessary readjustments in his inner life, and to refresh and reinvigorate the spiritual forces latent in his soul. Its significance and purpose are, therefore, fundamentally spiritual in character. –Shoghi Effendi —
Then last year, we cast our net a bit wider and invited 19 additional photographers to join us.
This year we because incredibly ambitious and have thirty-eight people contributing from all over the world.
Every day a different pairing of photographers will share images, words and thoughts of their fasting experience.
On one of those days, leila and I will share our own.
We hope you can join us over at nineteen days.